Ruinas de la fortaleza de Metsamor en Armenia

Ruinas de la fortaleza de Metsamor en Armenia


Kars & # 8211 Historia de la ciudad armenia

La ciudad de Kars se encuentra a unos 50 km al noroeste de las ruinas de Ani. Como asentamiento, Kars probablemente sea mayor que Ani y, a diferencia de Ani, Kars nunca fue abandonado.

Desde el siglo IX, la Ciudad Fortaleza de Kars sirvió como sede de la molestia del rey gobernante de la Armenia Bagratid. Abas Bagratid (Bagratuni) fue probablemente el maestro de Kars, incluso antes de su coronación en 929, cuando su hermano Asot II (914-929) era rey. El rey armenio Bagratid Abas I transfirió la capital a Kars tan pronto como se convirtió en rey y durante un corto tiempo (928-961) Kars fue la capital del reino armenio Bagratid.

Poco después de que la capital de Bagratid fuera transferida a Ani, Kars se convirtió (en 963) en un reino independiente separado conocido como Vanand & # 8211, el nombre armenio de la región de Kars. Este reino sobreviviría al de Ani.

Después de que los turcos selyúcidas capturaran a Ani, el último rey armenio de Kars cedió su ciudad al imperio bizantino en 1064, obteniendo a cambio la ciudad de Amasya y tierras en el norte de Cilicia. Los bizantinos no tuvieron más éxito en la defensa de Kars que con Ani, y pronto lo perdieron ante los turcos (en 1071). La población turca de Kars habría sido pequeña & # 8211, pero el apoyo de los emires de Erzurum mantuvo su poder hasta 1206, cuando los georgianos y armenios expulsaron a los gobernantes turcos. En 1236 los mongoles ocuparon la región. Como en otros lugares, probablemente dieron mucha autonomía a la mayoría de la población armenia: se sabe que un príncipe armenio gobernaba Kars en 1284.

Después del colapso del imperio mongol, una serie de pequeños emires turcos gobernó Kars hasta su incorporación al imperio turco otomano en 1534. En 1579 los otomanos emprendieron una extensa reconstrucción de la ciudad y sus fortificaciones para protegerse de los ataques persas. Desde mediados del siglo XVIII hasta principios del siglo XIX, el control de Constantinopla había disminuido hasta el punto de que los bajás de Kars eran semiautónomos.


Ruinas de un castillo armenio de 3000 años encontradas en el lago Van - Turquía

Las excavaciones submarinas fueron dirigidas por la Universidad Van Yüzüncü Yıl y la gobernación de la provincia oriental de Bitlis en Turquía. Se dice que el castillo pertenece a la civilización armenia de la Edad del Hierro, también conocida como Reino de Van, Urartu, Ararat y Armenia. Se cree que el lago en sí fue formado por un cráter causado por una erupción volcánica del monte Nemrut cerca de la provincia de Van. El nivel actual del agua del embalse es unos 150 metros más alto que durante la Edad del Hierro.

"Las civilizaciones que vivían alrededor del lago establecieron grandes aldeas y asentamientos mientras el nivel del agua del lago estaba bajo, pero tuvieron que abandonar el área después de que volvió a aumentar",

dijo Tahsin Ceylan, uno de los investigadores del periódico.

Los investigadores esperan realizar más excavaciones para revelar la escala completa de este descubrimiento. Se espera que el descubrimiento atraiga el turismo.

Aunque ahora dentro de las fronteras de la República de Turquía, el lago y la ciudad de Van son el corazón mismo de la civilización armenia desde tiempos inmemoriales. De hecho, tanto es así, que se considera el lugar donde nació la identidad étnica armenia. Según los registros del historiador armenio del siglo V Movses of Khorene, Hayk (el legendario fundador de la nación armenia) se estableció cerca del lago Van en 2492 a. C., donde fundó por primera vez el pueblo de Haykashen y construir allí la poderosa fortaleza de Haykaberd. En las orillas del lago, Van Hayk reunió a su ejército y les dijo que debían derrotar al rey tirano babilónico Bel, que había marchado contra él y su pueblo, o morir en el intento de hacerlo, en lugar de convertirse en sus esclavos. A Dyutsaznamart (que significa: "Batalla de gigantes") cerca del lago Van, Hayk finalmente derrotó a Bel. De ahora en adelante, Hayk había nombrado la región donde tuvo lugar la batalla con su propio nombre y el lugar de la batalla. Hayots Dzor (que significa: "Valle de los armenios"). Así nació la nación armenia y su primer reino libre en las orillas del lago Van, después de lo cual los armenios se llaman a sí mismos "Hay" y su país, "Hayk" o "Hayastan", en honor al legendario fundador Hayk. Las antiguas inscripciones hititas descifradas en la década de 1920 por el erudito suizo Emil Forrer dan testimonio de la existencia de un país montañoso llamado "Hayasa" y su embarcación se encuentra alrededor del lago Van. Los Anales de Mursili (siglo XIV a.C.) describen las campañas de Mursili contra Hayasa:
Y cuando llegué a Tiggaramma, el principal copero Nuvanza y todos los nobles vinieron a recibirme en Tiggaramma. Debería haber marchado a Hayasa todavía, pero los jefes me dijeron: '¡La temporada ya está muy avanzada, Señor, Señor! No vayas a Hayasa '. Y yo no fui a Hayasa.

Mapa del armenio histórico con el lago Van en el centro. (de Encyclopædia Britannica Online)
Fueron exactamente las obras de Movses de Khorene las que llevaron al descubrimiento inicial del reino armenio de Van (Urartu). La existencia de este reino era desconocida para la ciencia hasta el año 1823, cuando un erudito francés, J. Saint-Martin, encontró por casualidad un pasaje de la "Historia de Armenia" de Movses de Khorene, que había registrado el reino con gran detalle. Inspirado por estos escritos, Jean Saint-Martin envió un equipo al lugar descrito y descubrió un reino completamente desconocido para la academia occidental en ese momento. Khorenatsi había descrito los asentamientos antiguos en Van y los atribuyó a uno de los descendientes de Hayk Ara, el Hermoso hijo de Aram. Su descripción coincidía exactamente con la tablilla de arcilla asiria descubierta más tarde que atribuía la fundación del reino al primer rey de Urartu, el rey Aram (c. 860 - 843 a. C.).

“La historia de Urartian es parte de la historia de Armenia, en el mismo sentido que la historia de los antiguos británicos es parte de la historia de Inglaterra, y la de los galos es parte de la historia de Francia. Los armenios pueden reclamar legítimamente, a través de Urartu, una continuidad histórica de unos 4000 años, su historia se encuentra entre las de los pueblos más antiguos del mundo ".

- Mack Chahin, The Kingdom of Armenia, A History, 1987, revisado en 2001

El lago fue el centro del reino armenio de Ararat desde aproximadamente el 1000 a. C., después de la Satrapía de Armina, Reino de la Gran Armenia y el Reino armenio de Vaspurakan. Junto con el lago Sevan en la actual Armenia y el lago Urmia en el actual Irán, el lago Van era uno de los tres grandes lagos del Reino de Armenia, conocido como los mares de Armenia. Su nombre "Van" es una de las antiguas palabras armenias para "ciudad" que todavía se refleja en muchos topónimos armenios como Nakhichevan. (que significa: "lugar / pueblo de descendencia"), Stepananvan (que significa: "pueblo de Stepan"), Vanadzorque significa: "valle de Van" ), Sevan e incluso la ciudad capital de Armenia, Ereván.

El lago Van y su ciudad adyacente, también llamada Van, son hoy parte de Turquía, sin embargo, sus rastros históricos armenios aún son visibles. En el mismo centro de este lago hay una isla llamada Akhtamar que todavía alberga una iglesia armenia milenaria, la Catedral de la Santa Cruz.

Los armenios han vivido en Van hasta principios del siglo XX, cuando los turcos otomanos procesaron a los armenios durante el genocidio armenio. Uno de los últimos enfrentamientos del pueblo armenio conocido como la Resistencia de Van, donde más de 55.000 civiles armenios fueron masacrados por milicias y bandidos otomanos, fue ampliamente discutido en los periódicos de esa época en todo el mundo. La resistencia ocupa un lugar importante en la identidad nacional armenia porque simboliza la voluntad de los armenios de resistir la aniquilación en el corazón mismo del pueblo armenio.

Vista general de la isla de Akdamar (Akhtamar) y la catedral armenia de la Santa Cruz (915 d.C.).


Armenia invisible: Janfida

Janfida es una aldea en la frontera central sur de la provincia de Armavir con Turquía. Desde el pueblo, el monte Ararat es claramente visible a través de la bruma del verano. Cerca, en lo alto de una colina, se encuentran las ruinas de la antigua fortaleza Argishtikhinilli de Urartu (776 a. C.). Inmediatamente al sur de la aldea se encuentra la zona de seguridad a lo largo de la frontera entre Armenia y Turquía, patrullada por las fuerzas de la CEI (principalmente rusas), siendo el río Arax la frontera real.

La entrada al pueblo de Janfida (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

Las civilizaciones antiguas aquí están atestiguadas por los artefactos urartianos encontrados en o cerca de la aldea, y por los artefactos armenios medievales tempranos descubiertos en 1990. Justo en las afueras de la aldea, en lo que fue un cementerio medieval armenio y kurdo, Khachkars (piedras de cruz) se encontraron en el siglo 7-8. Al otro lado del cercano río Arax, en lo que ahora es Turquía, mi mapa muestra varias iglesias, que sin duda son armenias.

Un medieval Khachkar (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

Durante los siglos pasados, gran parte de la población armenia aquí se vio obligada a irse debido a las invasiones de turcos y persas que lucharon por este territorio. Posteriormente Rusia ocupó esta región. De 1828 a 1830, muchos armenios desplazados regresaron aquí a lo que se convirtió en la Armenia rusa, parte del Imperio ruso, gracias a las disposiciones del Tratado de Turkmanchay. Este tratado puso fin a la guerra ruso-persa de 1826-1828 y garantizó el derecho de los armenios a regresar a su tierra natal. Este tratado, negociado por el dramaturgo y diplomático ruso Alexander Griboyedov, jugó un papel importante en la restauración de la demografía de la Armenia caucásica. Una estatua de este héroe se encuentra en la calle Tigran Metz en Ereván, con un pueblo en la provincia de Armavir de Armenia que también lleva su nombre. Mientras aún estaba en Persia, una turba lo mató.

Monte Ararat desde el pueblo de Janfida (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

Durante el genocidio armenio y sus secuelas, muchos de los supervivientes encontraron refugio en la Armenia caucásica. Esto incluyó a muchos de los antepasados ​​de las familias actuales de Janfida, cuyos orígenes se encuentran en Van, Mush, Sasun y otras regiones armenias occidentales. Inicialmente, estos sobrevivientes buscaron refugio cerca del lago Sevan, pero luego se mudaron a Janfida, más cerca de sus aldeas ancestrales, con la intención de regresar al final de la Primera Guerra Mundial. Pero eso no iba a ser.

Estatua de Alexander Griboyedov, calle Tigran Metz, Ereván (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

A principios de la década de 1940, al comienzo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, muchos kurdos que permanecieron aquí decidieron trasladarse a Turquía, al otro lado del río Arax. Aunque la frontera estaba cerrada, de alguna manera lograron la mudanza.

Pueblo de Janfida (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

Turquía, aunque "neutral" durante la mayor parte de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, simpatizaba con Alemania. Poco antes del final de la guerra, Turquía se alineó hipócritamente con los aliados. Sin embargo, se creía que Turquía podría aprovechar la guerra para invadir la Armenia soviética. Aunque esto no sucedió, se hicieron preparativos para tal eventualidad. En el lado opuesto de la aldea de Janfida de la frontera turca, quedan búnkeres de hormigón con torretas de tanques en la parte superior, sus barriles apuntando hacia Turquía.

Búnker y torreta de tanques de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, aldea de Janfida (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

De 1941 a 1945, 121 ciudadanos de Janfida, de una población total de aproximadamente 1.400, lucharon en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. De estos, 87 murieron. Además, muchos resultaron heridos. En memoria del gran sacrificio que hizo este pueblo durante la guerra, el destacado escultor Ara Sargsyan esculpió una estatua conmemorativa, que se encuentra en el centro del pueblo, junto a la iglesia de St. Garabed (2014).

Monumento a los mártires de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, estatua esculpida por Ara Sargsyan (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

El escultor del monumento, nacido cerca de Constantinopla, mostró un enorme talento artístico en su juventud. A raíz del genocidio, mientras estudiaba arte en Europa, era un agente clandestino de Némesis y amigo de Arshavir Shiragian, que ayudó a imponer justicia a los responsables del genocidio armenio. Ocultando sus actividades de la Federación Revolucionaria Armenia (ARF) -Nemesis, se mudó a la Armenia Soviética, donde desempeñó un papel clave en el establecimiento de las instituciones artísticas de Armenia. Mientras se recuperaba de una lesión que no ponía en peligro su vida en el hospital, murió inexplicablemente, probablemente debido al trabajo de la KGB, que probablemente descubrió sus actividades anteriores y lo consideró peligroso, aunque no participó en actividades antisoviéticas.

Al comienzo del movimiento de liberación de Artsaj (Karabaj), un destacamento de voluntarios de Janfida, el “Panteras Negras”, Servido en Artsakh. Dieciséis de estos voluntarios sacrificaron sus vidas durante la lucha. Otros optaron por permanecer en Artsakh estableciendo una aldea con el mismo nombre, Janfida, en la provincia de Kashatagh de Artsakh.

Monumento a los mártires de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y la iglesia de St. Garabed (Foto: Joseph Dagdigian)

La población actual de Janfida es de alrededor de 3.500 y, a diferencia de muchas otras aldeas, es estable, y solo unos pocos optan por abandonar la aldea. La economía se basa en el cultivo de albaricoques y cerezas, y también se cultiva algo de trigo. 300 estudiantes están matriculados en el sistema escolar de Janfida con 90 niños en el jardín de infancia. Los caminos al pueblo son buenos. Viajamos en tren desde la estación Sasuntsi Davit de Ereván hasta Armavir, el centro de la provincia, y desde allí en taxi hasta la cercana Janfida. La tarifa del tren costaba menos de un dólar y tardaba aproximadamente una hora.

El nombre "Janfida”Es un término de uso común para los héroes armenios irregulares que luchan por la libertad. Parece que el nombre se usó antes de 1900, pero se desconoce exactamente cuándo o bajo qué circunstancias se adoptó el nombre.

El área alrededor de la ciudad de Armavir tiene mucho interés. Está el museo y monumento de guerra Sardarabad, el antiguo sitio arqueológico y museo de Metsamor, la antigua fortaleza urartiana de Argishtikhinili en lo alto de una colina cercana, y cuando es temporada, los albaricoques locales son increíblemente dulces. Y está el pueblo de Janfida, su historia y su gente.


Ruinas de la fortaleza de Metsamor en Armenia - Historia


Sitios:
Artashat, Byurakan, Amberd, Mughni, Saghmosavank, Ohanavan, Oshakan,
Shamiram, Haruch, Talin, Davtashen, Mastara

Sitios:
Artashat, Khorvirap
Dvin, Reserva Khosrov
Jrahovit

Sitios:
Echmiadzin
Bagaran, Yervandashat
Armavir, Aigeshat
Metsamor, Mokhra Blur, Ada Blur
Aigeshat, Aghavnatun

Sitios:
Lago Sevan, Sevan
Ruinas de la Edad de Bronce de Lchashen
Hairevank, Noradus Khachkar Field, Sulema Pass, Artsvanist, Makenis,
Vardenis, Shorzha

Sitios:
Garni, Geghard
Harinj, Abovian, Yeghvard
Cuevas de Vokhchaberd
Buzhakan, Bjini, Tzakadzor, pueblo griego Hankavan

Sitios:
Tashir, Shnogh, Teghut.
Akhtala, Haghbat, Sanahin, Alaverdi, Odzun, Dsegh, Dzoraget, Lori Berd,
Ella Ella, Stepanavan, Spitak, Jrashen, Fioletevo

Sitios:
Giumri, Marmashen, Vahrambaberd
Arpi Lich, Ghazanchi
Artik, Harich
Pemsashen, Lernakert, Sarnaghpiur
Ani Pemza. Ani (Turquía)

Sitios:
Embalse de Spandarian, Shaki Falls
Sissian, Karahunj (Stonehenge)
Arevis, Darbas, Lori
Shinuhair, Halidzor, Tatev
Goris, Khndzoresk
Artsvaneki, Yeghvard, Kapan, río Voghji
Tashtun, Meghri, Shvanidzor

Sitios:
Dilijan Resort
Haghartsin, Dios mío
Ijevan, Gandzakar, Berd,
Acharkut, Kirants, Voskepar
Noyamberian, Berdavan

Sitios:
Pase Yelpin-Chiva
Areni, Shatin, Yeghegis, Hermon, Vardahovit
Karmrashen, Hehrhehr, Gladzor
Spa Jermuk

& copy 2021 Rick Ney TODOS LOS DERECHOS RESERVADOS.
EL USO DE ESTE SITIO WEB CONSTITUYE LA ACEPTACIÓN AUTOMÁTICA DE LOS DERECHOS DE AUTOR Y EL ACUERDO DE USO FINAL.

Sitio web y copia 1997-2021 por
Contenido web creado y administrado con StoryPage® Web Publisher
Escríbanos a contact at tacentral dot com


Ruinas de la fortaleza de Metsamor en Armenia - Historia

Puede que haya habido un castillo aquí ya en el siglo VI, o antes, pero la mayor parte de la estructura actual probablemente data de la época del reino de Ani. A finales del siglo XII, después de que los georgianos expulsaran a los gobernantes musulmanes de Ani, Magazberd y otras fortalezas formaron un anillo protector alrededor de Ani. Al norte de Ani, otra fortaleza, llamada Tignis, aún sobrevive como una ruina fragmentaria, y cerca de Tignis, la iglesia de Shirakawan del siglo IX, luego convertida en una torre fortificada, sobrevivió hasta la década de 1950.

Magazberd fue capturado por los turcos otomanos en 1579. Fue guarnecido por ellos al menos hasta mediados del siglo XVII, ya que un tratado persa-otomano de 1637 estipulaba que debía desmantelarse (y otras defensas fronterizas). Algún tipo de asentamiento civil probablemente continuó en Magazberd hasta mediados del siglo XIX.

Descripción

El sitio está protegido en tres lados por acantilados verticales, y la fortificación principal es un pequeño muro doble que defiende el vulnerable lado norte. La pared interior se asemeja a las paredes de Ani. Tiene tres torres semicirculares altas y muy juntas. Puede datar de principios del siglo XI o de una reconstrucción a principios del siglo XIII. El muro exterior es mucho más bajo y probablemente sea una construcción del período otomano: se asemeja a los muros otomanos de Kars y Ardahan.

Magazberd era en realidad una pequeña ciudad: dentro de los muros había ruinas de casas, varias capillas, un palacio, una cisterna y otras estructuras. Un pasaje subterráneo conectaba el castillo con una entrada junto al río. Se desconoce la condición actual exacta de Magazberd, aunque las vistas externas sugieren que ha cambiado poco, excepto que la entrada exterior que se muestra en fotografías antiguas ha sido destruida.

Sitios cercanos

La Iglesia en Alaman (Alem)

La iglesia era un pequeño edificio abovedado con un plano de triconcha y un brazo de entrada rectangular hacia el oeste. Una inscripción registró su fundación por el príncipe Grigor Eghustr y su esposa Mariam en el año 637, y también nombró a Nerseh Kamsarakan, el gobernante local en ese momento.

La iglesia estaba en buenas condiciones en 1920 cuando fue visitada por el arqueólogo armenio Ashkharbek Kalantar. En ese momento, Alaman tenía 45 casas, 23 habitadas por armenios y 22 por kurdos yezidíes.

Las iglesias de Agarak (Ekrek)

Ekrek (antes llamado Agarak) es un pueblo más al sur de Alem y un poco al sur de Digor. Al menos hasta la década de 1920 tenía una iglesia armenia con cúpula de una fecha temprana; hoy está totalmente destruida (todo lo que queda son algunos fragmentos de concreto). Junto a ella se encontraban las ruinas de una iglesia de una sola nave, ahora también demolida.

La iglesia abovedada se llamaba Iglesia de San Esteban el Protomártir. Tenía planta cuatrifolio con cúpula central apoyada en bordones. El techo era de tejas y en el vértice de la cúpula había una piedra esférica con una cruz (derribada por los kurdos durante la Primera Guerra Mundial). Tanto el ábside del altar como el ábside sur tenían tres grandes ventanales. Una moldura de cornisa encapuchada decorada con estilizadas hojas de parra corría alrededor de la parte superior de las ventanas del ábside del altar, y una cornisa con arcos de herradura recorría la parte superior de los muros del ábside y el tambor de la cúpula. Estas y otras características fechan estilísticamente esta iglesia en el siglo VII, probablemente alrededor del año 650.

Cabe destacar las pequeñas habitaciones a ambos lados del ábside del altar. Sus paredes externas no están bien integradas en el diseño general. Esto sugiere que son una adición posterior, pero los motivos decorativos en las paredes de la iglesia continúan en las paredes de estas habitaciones, lo que demuestra que son contemporáneas con el resto de la iglesia. Las primeras iglesias armenias de planificación centralizada se construyeron sin salas anexas, en las iglesias posteriores se integraron completamente en la estructura del edificio. En esta iglesia, se ve que la forma del diseño todavía está evolucionando.

La iglesia de una sola nave era más antigua que su vecina con cúpula y probablemente databa del siglo V o VI. La nave terminaba en un ábside inusualmente ancho y tenía un techo abovedado cubierto con un tejado a dos aguas. También fueron inusuales las puertas de entrada gemelas en la fachada sur.

El arqueólogo Kalantar visitó Agarak en septiembre de 1920, haciendo la última descripción detallada del sitio. Grabó muchas de las inscripciones en las paredes de la iglesia cruciforme, incluida una en siríaco. Kalantar notó numerosos khatchkars medievales finamente tallados agrupados alrededor de las iglesias, y en el cementerio armenio del pueblo, donde también había varias lápidas en forma de caballos. También había muchos fragmentos arquitectónicos alrededor de las iglesias, incluidos los restos de un monumento estela medieval temprano. Esta estela tenía escenas talladas en ella, incluida una que muestra una figura, tal vez una mujer, sosteniendo en su mano un modelo de una iglesia basílica. Ninguno de estos objetos sobrevive ahora.

La Iglesia en Zipni (Varl & # 305)

En el pueblo de Varl & # 305 (antes llamado Zipni), a unos ocho kilómetros al sur de Digor, hay una iglesia que ahora se ha convertido en mezquita. Originalmente era un edificio abovedado con planta cruciforme. A principios del siglo XX, la cúpula había sido completamente destruida, probablemente después de un terremoto, pero la estructura todavía servía como iglesia y tenía un techo de madera para reemplazar la cúpula que faltaba. Zipni en ese momento tenía 300 hogares, todos armenios.

La iglesia probablemente data del siglo VII, pero posiblemente más tarde, quizás del siglo X. En su conversión a mezquita, la puerta original en el muro sur ha sido tapiada y una nueva puerta rota a través del muro del ábside.

En un cementerio al oeste de la iglesia, Kalantar observó seis monumentos fúnebres tallados en forma de caballos de piedra. Justo en las afueras de Zipni se encuentran los cimientos de otra iglesia, sin investigar y de fecha desconocida. Una vez estuvo dentro de un pequeño cementerio.

Nakhijevan (Kocak & # 246y)

En el pueblo de Kocak & # 246y (antes llamado Nakhijevan) había una iglesia, probablemente una basílica, que estaba en ruinas a principios del siglo XX. Ya no queda nada excepto pedazos del núcleo de hormigón de sus paredes.

Hoy en día, Kocak & # 246y es solo un pequeño pueblo, pero una vez fue una pequeña ciudad y un lugar importante. Cerca de la iglesia había (quizás todavía lo sea) una estructura subterránea construida alrededor del año 360 como mausoleo de la dinastía Kamsarakan. Esto comprendía un par de cámaras de tumbas rectangulares construidas con piedra en bruto, cada una de unos 4 metros de largo y orientada de este a oeste. Un pequeño pasaje construido con piedra tallada unía las cámaras con el exterior. Los techos de estas cámaras estaban ligeramente por encima del nivel del suelo, pero ocultos bajo un montículo bajo. En 1920 Kalantar notó que en una cámara había una lápida para un príncipe Artavazd (esta piedra sobrevivió hasta algún tiempo después de 1964) y que había rastros de otros dos mausoleos subterráneos en el pueblo.


1. Fortaleza Magazberd: una fotografía del siglo XIX


2. El paisaje alrededor de la fortaleza Magazberd


3. Fortaleza Magazberd fotografiada en la década de 1970


4. Castillo de Tignis, al norte de Ani: una fotografía antigua


5. Iglesia de Shirakawan, cerca de Tiknis, ahora destruida


6. La iglesia destruida en la aldea de Alaman


7. La aldea de Ekrek (Agarak) en el decenio de 1980


8. Las iglesias destruidas en la aldea de Agarak


9. Otra vista de las iglesias destruidas de Agarak


10. Las ventanas del ábside de la iglesia abovedada de Agarak


11. El emplazamiento de la iglesia de Agarak en el decenio de 1980


12. La iglesia de Zipni, fachada sur


13. Las ruinas de una iglesia no identificada cerca de Zipni


14. Lápidas junto a la iglesia anterior


15. El sitio de la iglesia Nakhijevan en el decenio de 1980


Guía de redescubrimiento de Armenia - Gegharkunik Marz

Gegharkunik Marz, compuesto por los cinco antiguos rayones de Sevan, Martuni, Kamo, Basargecher y Krasnosyelsk, está dominado por el lago Sevan y la cuenca de los numerosos arroyos que desembocan en él y descienden por el río Hrazdan hasta Arax. El Marz también incluye la cuenca separada del río Getik, que fluye hacia el norte hasta el Aghstev y finalmente se une al río Kura en Azerbaiyán. La cuenca del Sevan está azotada por el viento, sin árboles y austera, pero con cielos deslumbrantes, una superficie de lago en constante cambio y una rica historia. Alrededor del lago se encuentran los restos de piedra caídos de las fortificaciones y las ciudades de la Edad del Bronce y del Hierro, y pequeños grupos de rocas que marcan vastos campos de enterramientos prehistóricos con magnífica cerámica bruñida.

El lago Sevan entra en la historia registrada con los urartianos. El rey Rusa I parece haber conquistado la cuenca del Sevan y la convirtió en la frontera oriental del reino de Urartu en algún momento alrededor del 720 a. C. Varios marcadores de límites de Artash que escribí en arameo, la lengua franca del Medio Oriente, muestran la presencia de la dinastía Arsácida en la época helenística. En la época medieval, Gegharkunik estaba dominado por el clan Dopian.

En el momento de la conquista rusa en 1828, la población de Gegharkunik era casi en su totalidad musulmana, en gran parte tribus trashumantes kurdas o turcomanas. Una población musulmana relativamente compacta permaneció en las aldeas de la región de Vardenis hasta la limpieza étnica recíproca que tuvo lugar entre 1988 y 1992.

Acercándose a Sevanavank (Sección 1 Mapas H, E)

Gagarin, una ciudad industrial fundada en 1955 y que lleva el nombre del cosmonauta Yuri Gagarin en 1961, es el primer asentamiento alcanzado en Gegharkunik, a la izquierda de la carretera principal de Sevan. Sevan (18776 p), hasta 1935 Elenovka, que lleva el nombre de la esposa del zar Nicolás I, fue fundada en 1842 por cismáticos rusos exiliados, y la ciudad siguió siendo toda rusa hasta finales del siglo XIX. Sevan es conocido por su hospital psiquiátrico de 1000 camas. Un km N es la fortaleza ciclópea de Metsep. En una colina al sur de la aldea de Tsamakaberd, justo al este de la ciudad de Sevan, hay una fortaleza ciclópea.

Volviendo al oeste por la antigua carretera de Hrazdan desde la ciudad de Sevan, se llega primero Varser (1626 p, hasta 1946 Chrchr), citado por primera vez en el siglo IX, un pueblo cedido por Ashot II Bagratuni a la Iglesia de los Apóstoles. Según una pintoresca etimología popular, el nombre Varser (de una raíz que significa "cabello") deriva de una niña que se cayó al lago y se ahogó, con su largo cabello extendido sobre el agua. El siguiente es Geghamavan (1609 p), hasta 1946 Shahriz, fundada en Maku en 1830, con ruinas de iglesias / santuarios en la parte E del pueblo. Luego viene Tsaghkunk (891 p), entonces Ddmashen (2173 p), fundada en 1828 en Maku, con S. Tadevos la iglesia Apóstol del siglo VII. en el lado E. La iglesia se mantiene en buenas condiciones y tiene un bonito altar antiguo de madera pintada. Zovaber (1481 p) es el primer pueblo al que se llega en Gegharkunik por la antigua carretera de Hrazdan a Sevan. Hasta 1978 Yayji, sus residentes vinieron de Maku en 1830. Hay una iglesia de S. Stepanos construida en 1860.

Como el lago Sevan = 80 = (40 23.00nx 045 17.00e) aparece a la vista a 1890 m, es importante recordar que desde mediados de la década de 1930 el nivel del agua ha bajado unos 19 m, convirtiendo la isla Sevan en una península y creando una serie de estantes planos y playas de grava alrededor del lago. Bajo Stalin, los ingenieros soviéticos habían llegado a la conclusión de que la gran superficie de Sevan significaba una evaporación derrochadora. Decidieron reducir la superficie del lago a una sexta parte de su tamaño original, cultivar la nueva tierra en el extremo S y utilizar el exceso de agua para energía hidroeléctrica y riego. La protesta pública y la comprensión de que completar el plan convertiría la cuenca del Sevan en un desierto acabaron con el plan, pero los ingenieros de Armenia han seguido creyendo en una intervención masiva, cavando enormes túneles para traer agua del Arpa y (este túnel aún no está terminado) Vorotan. río, a fin de permitir una explotación más completa de la cascada hidroeléctrica de Hrazdan.

Continuando recto pasando el desvío de la ciudad de Sevan, pasando varios hostales y hoteles, se cruza el río Hrazdan y, unos 2 km más tarde, se llega a una amplia zona de aparcamiento con la carretera (derecha) que conduce a la península de Sevan. Ignorando las señales rojas de "no entrada" y girando a la derecha, se llega al área de estacionamiento y a los restaurantes al pie de los escalones para Sevanavank * = 50 = (40 33.83n x 045 00.65e), una vez también conocido como Sevank. Aquí, en la entonces isla, la princesa Mariam Bagratuni patrocinó la construcción de un monasterio, primer ejemplo post-árabe de una importante escuela regional religiosa / arquitectónica, bajo la guía espiritual de los futuros katholikos Mashtots. Como el siglo XIII. El obispo / historiador Stepanos Orbelian lo describe,

"En ese tiempo, el venerable Mashtots brilló por su asombrosa virtud en la isla de Sevan. Recibió la orden en una visión de construir una iglesia en el nombre de los doce apóstoles y establecer allí una comunidad religiosa. En su trance , vio 12 figuras caminando hacia él en el mar, quienes le mostraron el lugar de la iglesia. Después de esta visión y una advertencia desde lo alto, la gran reina Mariam, esposa de Vasak de Syunik, llegó a St. Mashtots y, habiendo Lo persuadió, construyó una iglesia ricamente ornamentada llamada los Doce Apóstoles, luego una segunda llamada la Madre de Dios, ella los proveyó abundantemente, y los convirtió en casa de Dios y refugio de hombres piadosos, en el año 323 (874 dC). " Per Kirakos Gandzaketsi (Tr. R. Bedrosian), ". El señor Mashtots fue katholikos durante un año. Era un hombre bendecido y virtuoso, lleno de brillantez y sabiduría y vivía en la isla en el lago Sevan practicando un gran ascetismo, vistiendo un vestida sola y caminando descalzo - durante cuarenta años no comió pan ni bebió agua. Fue el señor Mashtots quien estableció el libro (que se llama Mashtots en su honor), reuniendo todas las oraciones y lecturas ordenadas, dispuestas con un apéndice que tiene todos los órdenes de la fe cristiana. Al llegar a una edad madura, reposó gloriosamente en Cristo ".

El monasterio pasó por tiempos más difíciles, y hay una historia terrible de que, a mediados del siglo XVIII, los monjes se avergonzaban de que los katholikos visitantes vieran su colección de manuscritos andrajosos y dañados por el agua, y los arrojaron secretamente al lago. El domesticado experto ruso en el Cáucaso francés, Jean-Marie Chopin (Ivan Shopen), informó que en 1830 el monasterio tenía un abad, cinco monjes, 5 archidiáconos, 7 protodiáconos, 1 sacerdote y 11 servidores. Señaló que el régimen monástico en la isla era excepcionalmente estricto, que la carne y el vino estaban prohibidos, así como las mujeres y los jóvenes. Por lo tanto, el monasterio sirvió como reformatorio para los monjes que Ejmiatsin había desterrado por sus transgresiones. Chopin enumeró la propiedad del monasterio: cinco pueblos, cuatro molinos, una lechería en ruinas, 46 animales de granja y jardines y campos. Eli Smith informó en 1830 que uno de los monjes era un maestro serio, y los manuscritos todavía se copiaban allí a mano hasta 1850.

Pasando por los escalones un monumento a un siglo XX. capitán de la marina, comandante solitario de la flota de Sevan, se llega primero a la iglesia de los Arakelots (Apóstoles) y luego a Astvatsatsin (Madre de Dios), este último con varios fragmentos de khachkar en el patio. Estas iglesias fueron restauradas en el siglo XVII-XVIII y recientemente reconstruidas extensamente. Los otros edificios del monasterio han desaparecido en su mayoría, aunque hay cimientos de una tercera iglesia, S. Harutyun, arriba. No se ve nada de dos santuarios en ruinas más pequeños destruidos por terremotos, incluido uno en S. Karapet. Las ruinas de la fortaleza medieval de Sevan también han desaparecido por completo. Más allá del área de estacionamiento del monasterio, la carretera continúa pasando un puesto de control policial hasta casas de huéspedes modernas y asertivas que pertenecen a la Unión de Escritores, el Gobierno y el Presidente. Hay una playa comercial para bañarse debajo del monasterio. En algún lugar de la península hay escasos restos de una fortaleza ciclópea.

Gavar y la cuenca sur del Sevan (Sección 2 Mapas E, F)

Salir a la derecha (S) en las afueras de Sevan (hacia Gavar), luego girar a la derecha inmediatamente al final de la salida, te llevará a Lchashen (4212 p), hasta 1946 Ordaklu, habitada desde antes del 3000 a. C. Hay restos de un siglo XIII. iglesia, y un fuerte de la Edad de Hierro a 3 km al S, con ocupación de Urartian a 3 km al E es el principal Cementerio de la Edad de Bronce. The cemetery can be more easilty accessed by taking the new Sevan-Gavar road (ie, take a gentle right at the end of the exit ramp) and then turning right onto a wide (but overgrown) concrete road very soon after a a beautiful grove of trees along the main road. This concrete road goes about 0.5km, at which you should turn right onto what is the first alsphalt road to the right. Approximately 0.2km W on this road will bring you alongside the cemetery mounds.

Excavations here identified the predominant Late Bronze Age cultural type in Armenia, the so-called Lchashen-Metsamor culture dating from about 1500 BC to the Urartian conquest in the 8th century BC. Two chariots excavated at the site and other interesting materials are now on display in the State History Museum in Yerevan. Near the cemetery, on the left side of the Sevan-Gavar road about 15-20 m from the road, there is an inscription of Arghishti I carved in the rock facing the lake.

Next village, again W of the road, is Chkalovka (490 p), founded 1840 by Russian emigrants as Alexandrovka, renamed in 1946 for Valeri Chkalov, famed test pilot and Hero of the Soviet Union, killed during a test flight in 1938. A paved but badly potholed village road parallels the main highway S, connecting Chkalovka to Norashen (440 p, founded 1920, in SW part is church, cemetery, Aghli Berd cyclopean fort 2 km W), Tsovazard (1963 p, till 1978 Mukhan Bronze Age burials, church rebuilt in 19th c.), Lchap (1039 p, till 1945 Aghzibir, with a cluster of three Early Iron Age cyclopean forts E and S, with caves nearby) and ultimately Gavar.

Berdkunk (251 p, formerly Aghkala), was a transit point on the ancient Dvin-Partev road. On the E edge of the village is a cyclopean fortress called locally Ishkhanats Amrots. From the village 1 km W and 200 m SE of the left edge of the Sevan-Gavar road is a cyclopean fortress with megalithic tombs. Hayravank or Ayrivan (685 p) 22.4 km from the Sevan highway, on the left (E of the road) shortly after the Geghama Pensionat, a paved road leads to a rock outcrop with a fine view of Lake Sevan. There stands Hayravank Monastery* =80= (40 25.97n x 045 06.56e), with a late 9th c church, a 12th c. gavit, and khachkars. The rocks just NW preserve substantial walls of a Bronze Age through medieval fort and settlement nearby are Iron Age tombs. There are two shrines in the village, with inscribed khachkars.

Exiting E at a somewhat over-engineered cloverleaf intersection leads one toward Lake Sevan and the ancient village of Noratus* or Noraduz (5465 p). Turning right at the first street past the bridge leads to the S edge of town and S. Grigor Lusavorich church/Daputs Monastery of the 9-10th c., rebuilt by the 11th c architect Khachatur. Continuing straight into the center of village, the second left leads to the ruined S. Astvatsatsin church, a basilica built by Prince Sahak at the end of the 9th c., probably on earlier foundations. Outside the W door are intriguing carved grave monuments. On the E edge of town is a huge medieval-modern cemetery with an impressive array of early khachkars* =70= (40 22.40n x 045 11.05e), the largest such collection of khachkars in Armenia, as well as evocative modern funerary statuary. Continuing up the bare, windswept hillside beyond, there is a smaller cluster of khachkars around a medieval funeral chapel. Two km E of Noratus on the top of a hill is the Heghi Dar cyclopean fortress with a large tomb and two big inhabited caves. On a promontory N of Noratus is a large, well-maintained forest of antenna masts, ostensibly belonging to Armentel. A couple of km S of Noradus, near the former village of Artsvakar (formerly Ghshlakh, now a suburb of Gavar), are the Early Iron Age cyclopean fortresses of Ghslakh (near the lake), Zhami Dar (just W of Artsvakar) and Mrtbi Dzor (S of Zhami Dar).

West of the main highway on the cloverleaf is Gavar (23302 p), the marz capital, founded in 1830 by migrants from Bayazit in Turkey, with city status since 1850. Till 1959 it was called Nor Bayazit, then Kamo, from the nom de guerre of Simon Ter-Petrosian (1882-1922), a "professional revolutionary" who robbed banks for the communist cause and escaped from various Czarist jails. He died in a car crash in Tbilisi. Most of Gavar's industry is defunct, except for the cable factory. There is a folklore museum, an airport, and a bishop, who for lack of suitable quarters spends most of his time closer to Yerevan. The Early Iron Age fort of Berdi Glukh occupies a long, slender rocky hill, now a modern cemetery, paralleling the Gavaraget stream, behind the Haldi hotel on the main square. The fort includes early cave dwellings, towers and an underground passage to the Gavaraget. Just S is a large Early Iron Age cemetery. Urartian inscriptions lend credence to the theory that this was the center of the ancient Urartian district of Velikukhi. There are cyclopean fort remains all around the city, particularly one 5 km E of Berdi Glukh.

Bearing somewhat right on the road at the bottom of the main square takes one to the suburb of Hatsarat, with the small domed S. Astvatsatsin church, built in 898 by the will of Prince Shagubat Arneghati, and the 19th c. S. Grigor Lusavorich church adjoining, which still operates. Another cyclopean fort also called Berdi Glukh, with a large tumulus, is on the NE edge of Hatsarat by the modern cemetery. Just W of Gavar is Tsaghkashen (521 p, founded in 1859) with S. Hovhannes church of the 9-10th c.

A badly rutted road leads S first to Gandzak (3869 p) whose residents came originally from Mush, Bayazet, and Alashkert it was called Batikian until recently, named for Batik Batikian (1892-1920), a communist agitator shot by the Dashnaks after the failed May 1920 uprising. The village was known previously as Kyosamamed. There is a half-ruined Astvatsatsin basilica of the 4-5th c, S. Gevorg domed church of 9-10th c. Next village S on the road is Sarukhan (6218 p) on the bank of Kukudzor Creek. Its residents came in 1830 from Kogovit district. Once called Dalighardash, it was renamed for the professional communist revolutionary Hovhannes Sarukhanian (1882-1920) from Nor Bayazit, who was shot by the Dashnaks after they quelled his attempt at a Communist seizure of his home town during the failed May 1920 uprising. On a hill called Tsaghkavan on the N edge of the village is a cyclopean fort. The next village, Lanjaghbyur (2112 p) was called Kyuzajr till 1950. It was founded in 1828 by migrants from Alashkert and Bayazit. On the slope of the SE hill is Ilikavank or Paravi Vank, stylistically dated to the 7th c. Near the monastery are cyclopean building remains covering an area of 70 hectares. Gegharkunik (1693 p, till 1946 Bashkend) is the end of the road, except for jeep trails leading up to the summer pastures of the Geghama range. Its inhabitants came from Bayazet etc. in 1828. There is a tumble-down church/shed in village., and a humble S. Gevorg church on a hill beyond.

Back on the main road S from Gavar, one first reaches Karmirgyugh ("Red Village" 5106 p, till 1940 Ghulali), which was founded 1831 by migrants from Bayazit. In the center of the village are ruined churches of S. Grigor and S. Astvatsatsin, with khachkars. A boundary stone inscribed in Aramaic of King Artashes was found here, and there are Urartian ruins nearby. Some 12 km S of Gavar, on a peninsula jutting into the lake, is Kanagegh medieval settlement with khachkars and a cyclopean fortress.

S of Karmirgyugh, a turn-off W leads to Eranos (4264 p), with an Astvatsatsin church of 1215 (bear left inside the village) and Tukh Manuk and S. Sofia shrines. Left of the Gavar-Martuni road, by the old chicken farm, are cyclopean fort remains. A rutted road leads S from Eranos to Vardadzor (2110 p), founded 1828-29 from Mush, with an Urartian inscription of 722-705 BC. This road continues to Dzoragyugh (3596 p, reoccupied 1930., named for its position in a river gorge. Turning W to follow the stream through the village, then keeping on the left (S) side of a tongue-shaped hill, one reaches on the W edge of the village the ruins of Shoghaga Vank of the 7-17th c. and its surrounding cemetery. The church is labeled S. Petros and dated 877-886 it was apparently another work of Princess Mariam, the sponsor of Sevanavank. Retracing steps, the road continues S to an outlying section of the village with the Masruts Anapat (hermitage of Masru) of the 9th c., visible through houses about 200 m W of the road. The church, maintained lovingly and kept locked, still operates. A local woman keeps the key. On a hill 2 km W of Dzoragyugh is the Sangyar cyclopean fort occupying 40 hectares.

Continuing S, turning W brings one to Tazagyugh (2264 p, formerly Tazakend). There is a Grigor Lusavorich church of 9-10th c and a 16th c. S Astvatsatsin. A good dirt road continues W into the mountains. In the opposite direction from Tazagyugh is Tsakkar (2140 p), founded in 1828 from Mush. It allegedly has a natural bridge, a church rebuilt in 19th c., and a boundary stone of Artashes I. NW on Bakhtak creek is a Hellenistic settlement.

Lichk (4135 p), formerly Gyol ("lake"), was founded in 1830 by migrants from Alashkert. Cyclopean fort, medieval town remains, S. Astvatsatsin church and 13th c. khachkars. Tsaghkevank is on a level hill summit on the SW edge. 1.5 km W is Ghrer Bronze Age burial site. Next village south, Nerkin (lower) Getashen (7061 p, till 1945 Adyaman), was an early medieval capital of the region. The road from the main highway is signposted in Armenian. The 9th c. Kotavank church is perched on the ridge overlooking the village and the Argich river. Kotavank was built by Grigor Supan, son of Princess Mariam. On the main village road just beyond the dirt road up to the church, is a tumble-down little basilica hiding behind a prefab store. Arranged with stalls as a barn, this church preserves many khachkars built into its walls. On a hill 2 km E is a cyclopean fortress, where a cuneiform inscription of Rusa I was found. Another cyclopean fort 3 km W is called Berdi Dosh. South of Lower Getashen is Verin (upper) Getashen (4203 p), founded 1828-29 from Mush and Alashkert S. Astvatsatsin, S. Sargis churches. The road continues S to Madina (1031 p), whose residents settled there in 1922. The mountain west of Madina, the extinct Armaghan volcano, rises 450 m above its surroundings, with a small lake in the crater.

Martuni (11117 p), anciently Mets Kznut, from 1830-1922 Nerkin Gharanlugh, from 1926 Martuni, former rayon capital, named for first Soviet PM Myasnikian's nom de guerre. It has various non-functioning industries and "Martuni" Rest House. Astvatsatsin church rebuilt in 1886 on the S edge of Martuni left of the Martuni-Geghhovit road are cyclopean fort ruins above the modern cemetery. South from Martuni on the road that leads to the Selim Caravansaray and Yeghegnadzor, one first reaches Geghhovit (5141 p, till 1968 Verin Gharanlugh founded in the 15th c, but current residents from Alashkert in 1823). In the village is a S. Gevorg church. The small modern cement church just on the S end of town was erected by the local member of parliament, perhaps for electoral purposes. There is a small cyclopean fort on the hill above. In the middle of the village, a road descends SW and crosses the river. Turning left at the first opportunity after the river, you reach a hilltop just S of the village with walls of an Iron Age fort (best seen at S end) excavated in 1997 by an Armenian-Italian team. Supposedly the medieval Alberd fort, mentioned in connection with a 9th c. Byzantine military campaign, is here as well, with a shrine of S. Mamas. About 4 km S of Geghhovit, on a hill E of the road where the Martuni and Dashtidzor rivers come together, is a Berdi Glukh cyclopean fort. The paved road passes Lernakert, then ascends (now unpaved) into the mountains toward the Selim Pass/Caravansaray and Yeghegnadzor. Just E of the road before the summit, a series of boulders have carved on them faint outline maps of the major constellations (39 57.33n x 045 14.10e), possibly dated to the 3rd millennium BC. Sev Sar, the mountain just East, also has important petroglyphs. Two other interesting petroglyphs can be found at (40 01.66n x 045 17.26e) and (40 01.65n x 045 17.48e).

East from Martuni -- Teyseba and Vanevan (Section 3 Map F, G)

Vaghashen (3259 p, till 1935 Abdalaghalu), has two 16th c. churches and (1.5 km S) Kyurdi Kogh and Aloyi Kogh cyclopean fort ruins,. Village was founded 1828-29 from Mush, Alashkert. Luego Astghadzor (3546 p), till 1935 Alighrkh, historically Kats or Katsik Poghos-Petros church in the village, and old churches and khachkars, including shrines of St. Hripsime, following the gorges SE and SW of the village. On a high hill SW of the village, a little shrine had another Aramaic boundary stone of King Artashes I. There are cyclopean fort ruins of Vanki Amrots 3 km S, and Iron Age graves in the vicinity.

Zolakar (5720 p), till 1935 Zolakhach, settled in 1829 from Alashkert with funerary monument in center. Tukh Manuk and S. Sargis churches, Bronze Age cemeteries.

Vardenik 7765 p, till 1945 Gyuzeldara), on Vardenis river, cyclopean fort ruins of Kaftarli 3 km S, with rock carvings downhill on the right bank also churches, shrines founded 1828-29 from Mush.

E of Tsovinar (3997 p), on a hill cut by the old (and very rough) road between Tsovinar and Artsvanist, is the Urartian city of Teyseba, (modernly Odzaberd or "Serpent Castle") founded by Rusa I (approx 735-713 BC), the best-preserved Urartian fortification in the Sevan Basin. The site is best reached from the spur to Artsvanist, turning right (W) on a little dirt road toward Tsovinar. Carved into a low cliff below the road on the Lake Sevan side is a worn cuneiform inscription of Rusa I recounting his conquest of 23 countries. With equal arrogance, the modern engineers of the Arpa-Sevan tunnel chose the hill of Teyseba to be the point where the tunnel debouches on the lake. Up the hill S of the road there are various walls of boulders, preserved particularly on the S side of the hill fortress.

Artsvanist (2839 p) till 1968 N. Aluchalu, founded in 1829-30 by migrants from Alashkert. As the road reaches the center of the village, bear half-left at the war memorial and follow the gorge a few hundred meters to Vanevan* =40= (40 08.80n x 045 31.02e), an important work of 10th c. regional architecture. The main church of S. Grigor (left) was built in 903 by Prince Shapuh Bagratuni, brother of King Smbat, and his sister Mariam. The right-hand church may be contemporary, but the gavit between them was added later. There is a spring and a shallow cave behind the monastery. Father Tiratur Hagopian, son and grandson of priests serving this village, is attempting to revive Vanevan as the center of an active parish. Continuing straight S through the village, one sees on the left across the gorge remains of an early cemetery and church. 3 km S is Kolataki S. Astvatsatsin of late 9th-early 10th c., and Hnevank of 10th c. In the same area is Bruti Berd cyclopean fortress.

Former Vardenis Rayon -- Makenyats Vank (Section 4 Map G)

The area between Vardenis and Lake Sevan used to be the shallow Gilli Lake and surrounding wetlands, home to vast populations of migrating birds. The wetlands have almost disappeared, however, due to the fall of the water level in Lake Sevan. The Vardenis region was heavily Azeri Muslim in population until 1988, with only a handful of its 30-odd villages predominantly Armenian. Since 1989, there has been modest resettlement by ethnic Armenian refugees from Azerbaijan, as well as reoccupation of the now renamed Azeri villages by local farmers. The road E through [[Vardenis continues on to the Zod gold mines, inactive in recent years but taken over in 1998/99 by a multinational mining company. Just beyond the mine works and a Military Police post, the dirt road crosses a pass (2366 m, often closed in winter) into Kelbajar district, technically a part of Azerbaijan but now controlled by Karabakhi Armenian forces. The road then proceeds as far as Mardakert in northern N-K. There are daily buses from Mardakert to Yerevan, and occasional trucks bringing firewood cut in the occupied territories.

Karchaghbyur (2291 p) has petroglyphs in the gorge of Karchaghbyur river SE is Berdidash cyclopean fort with two Christianized pagan shrines 2 km W are Bronze Age burials. Beginning in 1975, archaeologists have been excavating a Persian and Hellenistic period walled settlement on a promontory jutting out into the lake. The site was abandoned at the end of the 1st century BC, with mass burials of that period.

Some 5 km E of the Karchaghbyur turn-off, in a little wood, is an unsignposted right turn for Tsovak (2549 p), with a cuneiform inscription of Sarduri II of the 8th c. BC, cut in the rock on the N edge of a huge Iron Age cyclopean fort occupying the hill forming the S and W side of the village. After 1 km, take the right fork which winds up onto a narrow spine of rock, with khachkars, the road leading S to Lchavan (557 p, till 1967 Yarpuzlu, Bronze Age tombs, church of 13-14th c, khachkars) and then Makenis (495 p). Makenyats Vank* =40= (40 07.50n x 045 36.83e), right of the road about 100 m inside the village, was a major cultural/education center of medieval Gegharkunik with 10-13th c. churches. Prince Grigor Supan built the central S. Astvatsatsin church (locked) at the end of the 9th c. In the near corner of the walled enclosure, hanging out over the gorge, is a picturesque medieval sanitary facility. The road continues to Akhpradzor (337 p), till 1978 Verin Zaghalu.

Past the turn for Tsovak, the road passes Vanevan (325 p) formerly Shafak, and Torfavan (507 p, formerly Kamishlu?). A right turn leads to Lusakunk (1289 p, formerly Tuskyulu), Khachaghbyur (1145 p, formerly Chakhirlu or Sovietakert, with ruined Iron Age fort, 13th c. church), and Geghakar (126 p, formerly Subatan).

Vardenis (11465 p) till 1969 Basargechar, anciently Vasakashen, was settled in 1830 from Western Armenia. There are two hotels as well as Bronze Age tombs. Leaving the village on the E road (the 10 o'clock turn on the roundabout), there is on the left a large late 19th/early 20th c. Astvatsatsin church, built on earlier foundations. Surrounding the church are fine khachkars and tombstones of a 16th c. burial ground.

Heading S from Vardenis, one road goes to Akunk (3469 p, till 1935 Ghrkhbulagh, 6-4th c. BC fort, Klor Dar cyclopean fort W of village, Bronze Age settlement, two Tukh Manuk pilgrimage sites), and another (the right-hand turn at the main Vardenis roundabout) goes to the eerie but appealing village of Ayrk* =30= (348 p, till recently Dashkend). In Ayrk, take the right fork at the village store, and watch out on the right for the Astvatsatsin Church (dated 1181) and, 150 m beyond, the Katoghike S. Gevorg church of 13th c., both with substantial graveyards. Between the two churches are massive stone walls of an Iron Age fortification, with shallow caves below. Taking the left fork at the store, one comes to the essentially abandoned hamlets of Nerkin Shorzha (69 p), and Verin Shorzha (46 p).

North from Vardenis (Section 5 Map G)

Mets (big) Masrik (2589 p) or Mets Mazra, habitation attested since the 7th c, has a famous khachkar of 881, a 17th c. church, two shrines of 12-13th c. Luego Pokr (little) Masrik (676 p,) with 12-13th c. church and khachkars. W of the road is Norakert (857 p) founded in 1927 as a state farm specializing in wheat seed. Continuing N, one reaches Geghamasar (1068 p, formerly Shishkaya, with 16th c. church, cemetery N of village), Areguni (360 p, formerly Gyuney, till 1935 Satanakhach), Daranak (205 p, formerly Dara, founded 1921 by people from Pambak), Pambak (596 p, churches, caravansaray, cemeteries), and Tsapatagh (274 p, formerly Babajan), with a Tufenkian Hotel and Restaurant (http://www.tufenkian.am). The road continues around the lake, passing through the former Krasnosyelsk region.

North and East of the main road are the villages of Kakhakn (417 p, formerly Karayman or Sovietakend, with 13-16th c. khachkars), Arpunk (436 p, formerly Kyasaman, since 1978 Bahar, with 15th c. church 3 km SE), and Avazan (253 p, till recently Gyosu). From Mets Masrik spur roads go NE to Kutakan (230 p, formerly Gyunashli, till 1968 Janahmed), Tretuk (189 p, formerly Inakdagh, in 1978 became Yenikend) and Aghyokhosh.

East from Vardenis (Section 6 Map G)

East of Vardenis on the road to Sotk (past the church, then angle right at the next traffic light), the first right turn leads to Shatjrek (517 p, formerly Ghoshabulagh), Jaghatsadzor (140 p, formerly Sariyaghub), and Geghamabak (112 p, formerly Ghayabagh). Next right leads to Shatavan (533 p, formerly Narimanlu, with 15-16th c. cemetery) and Norabak (334 p, formerly Azizlu, before then Mets Gharaghoyun). Continuing straight, the road reaches the gold mining town of Sotk (1053 p, formerly Zod, founded in 1969 on the Zod river). In the village is a large three-aisle basilica of S. Astvatsatsin, said to be 7th c. but with 13th c. gravestones built into the walls. South of the road are Azat (165 p, till 1935 Aghkilisa, with a pair of khachkars and the poor remains of an 11th c. church), and Kut (283 p, formerly Zarkend, till 1935 Zarzibil, founded 1801).

The East Side of Sevan -- Chambarak (Section 7 Map E)

Past the Sevan peninsula, the road forks right to Chambarak (still known to most by its old name of Krasnosyelsk). The left fork leads to Dilijan and beyond, passing first through Tsovagyugh (3885 p), till 1935 Chibukhlu, Karatap has ruins of church on an egg-shaped hill NE is an Iron Age fort. Just before the top of the pass leading to Dilijan is Semyonovka (302 p), a Russian village founded in 1849.

Chambarak and the former Krasnosyelsk rayon on the far side of Lake Sevan are best reached by driving N from Sevan and around the lake, paralleling the railroad line to the Zod gold mine. After passing a series of lake resorts, the E Sevan shore becomes national park. A turn-off left (at 26.4 km from the Dilijan/Krasnosyelsk fork) leads to Drakhtik ("litte heaven", 1023 p), formerly Tokhluja, with old cemeteries. A substantial asphalt road (at 27.9 km) left leads over the Chambarak pass (8.3 km), which marks the boundary between the Sevan/Hrazdan/Arax watershed and that of the Getik, which flows N and E into the Aghstev and Kura rivers.

At about 16 km one reaches a fork on the outskirts of Chambarak (6198 p), the left track passing through the administrative center of the former Krasnosyelsk rayon. Chambarak was founded in 1835-40 on the Getik ("little river") by Russian immigrants, with the name Mikhaylovka. In 1920 it became Karmir gyugh ("Red village"), then in 1972 Krasnosyelsk (meaning the same in Russian). This is a border region whose eastern defensive positions are still subject to occasional shelling. At the far end of town (jog right then left in the center), one reaches a crossroads. Turning left to follow the Getik, one sees on the right, five houses before the NW edge of town, the (reportedly still functioning) house museum of the Borian brothers. Armenak, one of the 26 Baku commissars, was shot by Bolshevik-fearing Turkmen in September 1918, while his more successful brother Bagrat, revolutionary, Pravda correspondent, and Central Committee member, met his maker in 1938 after fatally underestimating the role of Russia in his history of Armenian diplomacy. Chambarak also boasts some 13th c. khachkars.

Turning right (SE) in Chambarak, the road leads to Vahan (1161 p), formerly Orjonikidze, founded in 1925 in honor of Sergo Orjonikidze (1886-1937), the great Caucasus revolutionary. At the E end of Vahan, on a hill between two tributaries of the Getik, is an Early Iron Age cyclopean fort.. From Vahan, the road used to continue E into Azerbaijan and thence into the Armenian enclave of Artsvashen, a large village known until about 1980 as Bashkend. 7 km E on this road (you may be shot at if you get this far) are ruins of another cyclopean fort. Artsvashen was founded in 1845. It was the birthplace of Hero of the Soviet Union Saribek Chilingarian, who in April 1945 raised the Red Flag over the fortifications of Berlin. Artsvashen was captured by Azeri forces in August 1992, one of the most painful reverses suffered by Armenia in the N-K dispute.

South toward Vardenis (Sectoin 8 Map E)

Beyond the Chambarak turnoff on the road S. to Vardenis, a smaller road leads E to Aghberk (289 p), until recently Aghbulagh and inhabited by Azeris. Just beyond this turnoff is the small village of Shorzha (551 p), with a 17th c. chapel/cemetery on the S edge of town, a ruined chapel on the hill above, and an Iron Age fort somewhere in the vicinity. South of the village, a paved road angles SW onto the Artanish peninsula. There is a substantial vacation compound, including gravel beach, now belonging to the Union of Artists. The main road south deteriorates after Artanish (720 p, ruins of cyclopean fortresses on hill just to W, also 5 km SE, also 1 km N church, cemeteries) and Jil (681 p, founded in 12th c., with Dashti-ler fort 2 km N). The entire Sevan coast, from Artanish to Jil is perfect for a number of activities. The beach is extremely long and sandy, the water is nice, there is a little strip of forest all along the beach, and the entire area is uninhabited. This beach is an ideal and solitary area for camping, sunbathing, swimming and hiking.

Down (NW) the Getik River -- Old Getik Vank (Section 9 Map E)

Crossing the Getik and turning left, a bumpy asphalt road passes the Borian house museum and follows the river NW toward the Dilijan-Ijevan road. At 8.4 km past the Krasnosyelsk intersection, just beyond Ttujur ("sour water", 1054 p, Kotrats church, Tsak kar ruined settlement), a good dirt/asphalt road ascends back to the east and then climbs N toward the Shamsadin region of Tavush Marz and the town of Berd, becoming perhaps the most spectacular road in Armenia. (see Tavush section, Map O).

Next village on the main road is Getik ("little river", 471 p) formerly Nor Bashgyugh ("New chief village"), founded in 1922, with megalithic monuments, khachkars, and an Iron Age cyclopean fort (Mughani Khach). Next village, left of the road, is Martuni (671 p, named for first Soviet Armenian PM Alexander Myasnikian's cover name Iron Age forts medieval churches at Aghjkaghala). Approximately 0.1km past the third bridge over the Getik in Martuni, a rocky road angles steeply up N and continues towards the 10th c. Castle of Aghjkaghala* =30= on the ridgeline. Note that after about 1.5km this road is begining to show signs of subsidence and should probably not be attemped in a heavy vehicle after any period of rain.

Next turnoff, a good dirt road crossing the river about 100 m before two wooden houses on the right, leads S and up through woods to the ruins of Old Getik monastery, predecessor of Goshavank or New Getik. The monastery was ruined in an earthquake, and the remaining walls are only about 2 m high. The dirt road continues to Jivikhlu, once home to 40-50 Azeri families, now occupied by 10 Armenian families, refugees from Artsvashen.

The main road next reaches Aygut (1004 p, till recently Gyolkend, named in Turkish from 7 little nearby lakes) on the main road.

From Dprabak (626 p, formerly Chaykend, founded in 1778 by migrants from Kazakh and Karabakh), a road S goes to the once Azeri villages of Barepat, (Bariabad) and Kalavan (168 p, formerly Amirkher). Después Dzoravank (222 p, formerly Gharaghaya), there is a turn-off left to Antaramej ("In the woods", 227 p, till recently Meshakend, till 1978 Yanighpaya), and then the main road reaches the border with Tavush Marz.


3,000-year-old fortress discovered in Turkish lake

A lost 3,000-year-old castle has been discovered by divers and researchers in Turkey’s Lake Van.

The spectacular ruins are thought to be those of a fortress built by the Uratu civilisation which flourished in the iron age between the 9th and 6th centuries BC.

The discovery was made by archaeologists from the Van Yüzüncü Yıl University working with a team of divers.

Recomendado

In an interview with Turkey's newswire service Andalou Agency, underwater videographer and head of the diving team, Tahsin Ceylan explained that other divers and archaeologists familiar with the lake advised the team they were unlikely to find much in the water.

But they eventually found that the remarkable ruins are part of an extensive site which stretches roughly a kilometre. Despite being underwater for centuries, the height of the visible sections of the fortress’s remaining walls range between 10 and 13 feet high.

Mr Ceylan told Turkish newspaper Hürriyet Daily News , “many civilizations and people had settled around Lake Van. They named the lake the ‘upper sea’ and believed it had many mysterious things.

“With this belief in mind, we are working to reveal the lake’s secrets,” Mr Ceylan added that Lake Van had a history of around 600,000 years.

Recomendado

“It is a miracle to find this castle underwater,” he added. “Archaeologists will come here to examine the castle’s history and provide information on it,” he said.

Urartu, also known as the Kingdom of Van, was an ancient nation that spanned parts of modern day Turkey, Armenia, and Iran. Lake Van is thought to have been an important focus for the civilisation.

“Studies were done on the underwater portion of the historic Urartian castle in our city, revealing it to be nearly 3,000 years old,” said Adilcevaz District governor Arif Karaman.

It is not the first discovery the team has made in the lake. Last year they found an area 1.5 square miles in size of bizarre stalagmites, which they nicknamed the “underwater fairy chimneys”.


Loriberd Fortress

The ruins of a medieval fortress-town Loriberd are located on the left bank of the river Dzoraget, with the view of the wooded slopes of Bazum mountains near the town of Stepanavan. This place is the center of the kingdom of Lori in the X-XII centuries.

The town is extended on the plateau with triangular shape, fenced with deep gorges of mountain streams Miskhan and Dzoraget. The fortress, citadel has been founded In this inaccessible place in the tenth century. It occupied an area of nine hectares and was protected by a powerful defensive wall stretching about 200 meters. The only gates of the citadel were constructed in the northeastern part of the fortifications. Only the ruins of some buildings of the fortress have survived to our days.

The city surrounding the powerful fortress occupied an area of about 25 hectare. The city in its turn was surrounded by walls, only remnants of the foundations of which have been preserved.

These buildings were connected to the outside world with two bridges thrown across the gorge. Today the visitors of the fortress can see the foundations of one of them, while the second bridge is preserved in its full glory. It’s an easy single span structure with a lancet arch, relaxed at the top of a small arc, smoothly connecting both major curves.

The fate of Loriberd fortress is somehow sad, just like the fate of most of the medieval towns in Armenia. Tatar-Mongol hordes besieged and captured it in 1238, ravaged without mercy. Then, for several centuries the fortress became the prey of foreign invaders several times. Townspeople gradually left it at the end of XVIII century only a small village has remained on the site of once a mighty fortress, which was moved to the west of the ancient city in the XX century.

Household items and tools were found here during excavations. These items provide insight into the history and culture of medieval Lori region.

Choose one of our tours to Armenia to enjoy beauty of Armenia with your own eyes.


  • Khor Virap - Monastery at the foot of Biblical Mt. Ararat, where St. Gregory the Illuminator was imprisoned in a deep pit until he converted the Armenian King and thus nation to the first Christian country in the world.
  • Dvin - Ruined capital of Armenia.
  • Echmiadzin (3 main churches) - Seat of the Catholicos (Patriarch) of the Armenian Church.
  • Oshakan - Church where Mesrop Mashtots, inventor of the Armenian Alphabet in 405 AD, is buried.
  • Ashtarak churches - The town of Ashtarak has some very old churches, including Karmravor, Marianne, one more rebuilt church, two in ruins and an old bridge.
  • Hovhannavank/Saghmosavank - Two very fine monasteries perched on the edge of the cliffs of the Kasagh Gorge, within distant view of one another.
  • Kasagh Basilica - Ancient black basilica in the town of Aparan.
  • Odzun - An advanced seventh century basilica in the village of Odzun.
  • Haghpat/Sanahin - Two extensive UNESCO World Heritage Site monasteries in villages overlooking the Debed canyon.
  • Kobayr/Akhtala - Two beautiful monasteries with great frescoes showing a heavy Georgian influence due to the intertwined rulers at the time.
  • Mikoyan Museum - A museum honoring two brothers born in the village of Sanahin, one of whom invented the MiG fighter jet and the other served as Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet in the 1960s.
  • Ijevan - Small museum dedicated to the coming of Soviet rule to Armenia. Also has nice traditional town architecture.
  • Dilijan (lay architecture - pre-soviet and soviet) - Nice traditional town architecture.
  • Dilijan (Sanatoriums, cinematographers house, other Soviet architecture) - Also home to many huge Soviet sanatoriums, some are pretty cool 70s (cinematographers house), some massive classical (Lernayin Hayastan resthouse).
  • Republic Square/Yerevan Opera House - Yerevan was the focus of the Soviet building effort in Armenia, and Republic Square is a massive square with huge buildings full of columns, carvings and nice stone. The Opera House, from the very early Soviet period predates the real Soviet style of architecture.

Ver el vídeo: Proyecto Arboretum, ubicado en la av centenario en el norte de Armenia